Design Technology Cultural Capital
Our understanding of ‘knowledge and cultural capital’ is derived from the following wording in the national curriculum:
‘It is the essential knowledge that pupils need to be educated citizens, introducing them to the best that has been thought and said and helping to engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement.’
Ofsted School Inspection Handbook 2019
What is Cultural Capital at Blackrod for DT?
At Blackrod, Cultural Capital is seen in the way we incorporate our drivers of Possibilities, Environment, Community & Citizenship and Well-Being, into all of our areas of learning and by striving to provide the children the opportunities to experience and develop understanding of different cultural genres which may not be readily accessible to them outside of School.
By the very nature of Design and Technology as a subject pupils will develop and explore practical skills with designing and creating for a purpose. These are linked to real life experiences to enable our children to become well rounded members of society in preparation for later life. Encouraging children to become problem solvers and potential innovators of the future.
To support children’s understanding, knowledge and skills they are given access to a wide range of resources and opportunities to inspire and challenge children to engage with the design process. Through learning design and technology, pupils will develop perseverance to design, make, test, evaluate and amend their creations. Empowering our children to become independent and resilient learners
BPS’s D&T Cultural Capital offer includes:
- A progressive vocabulary overview
- D&T reading area enhancements ●
- Computing project provision resources
- Significant people - Individuals who have changed the direction of D&T are embedded into linked subject journey’s e.g. Art -Da Vinci ●
- Termly projects loans in classroom provision
- School trips –
- LEAF Cobble Hay Farm – Farm to Fork ●●
- Farm Trip
- School visitors –
- STEM Morning – Whole School ●
- Farmer Matt – Felderland ‘Pick Your Own’ Farm in Kent (virtual)
- Enhancement days and assemblies–
- Farmer Matt – Felderland ‘Pick Your Own’ Farm in Kent activity day