PE Cultural Capital
Our understanding of ‘knowledge and cultural capital’ is derived from the following wording in the national curriculum:
‘It is the essential knowledge that pupils need to be educated citizens, introducing them to the best that has been thought and said and helping to engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement.’
Ofsted School Inspection Handbook 2019
What is Cultural Capital at Blackrod for Physical Education?
At Blackrod, Cultural Capital is seen in the way we incorporate our drivers of Possibilities, Environment, Community and Well-Being, into all of our areas of learning and by striving to provide the children the opportunities to experience and develop understanding of different cultural genres which may not be readily accessible to them outside of School.
Physical Education at Blackrod is much more than discreetly taught PE sessions. In our organisation we provide experiences that we hope will allow children to be in touch with their overall well-being by inspiring them to live physically active lifestyles, we hope to provide children with possibilities in the sporting world as future careers, we hope to get children more involved in their communities via physical exercise and we hope more children take up physical transportation with the environment in mind.
BPS’s Physical Education Cultural Capital offer includes:
- Lancashire Cricket Club in school delivering sessions to children from different key stages.
- Use of brain breaks and active learning in session such as Go noodle, allowing children to move inside the walls of their classrooms.
- Bike ability in school encouraging children to learn out to ride the scooter with them hopefully taking that mode of transport in the future.
- Extra-Curricular Clubs –
- Yoga sessions for different year groups, allowing children to relax, unwind and focus themselves.
- Netball club ●
- Athletics club ●
- School trips –
- Inter- school competitions ●●
- Swimming Gala ●●
- Athletics competition ●●
- Bee stingers Netball ●●
- Cricket competition ●●
- Basketball competition ●●
- Rounders competition ●●
- Football competition ●●
- UEFA women’s football camp ●●
- School visitors –
- Lancashire cricket coach ●●
- Karate coach ●●
- Enhancement days and assemblies –
- Sports day ●●
- Quidditch ●●
- Fitness Assembly ●●